Releasing a Game Using RM-XP-VX-Ace [V0.3]

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jon Bon

Jon Bon
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Introduction
Releasing a game using the RM engine by enterbrain can be as simple as compressing the game file through in program methods, then zipping that into a folder and uploading it to the internet for all to play. But is that really the best quality you can give to a player? Read this guide to find out some tips and tricks to help improving the production quality of your RM game release.

Game Icons
I always notice the big orange sun icon that is the logo for RM as the launch icon for most peoples games made through RM. This is actually quite simple to change and improves the first impression of you game quite a bit. Here is a link to a guide written by Marked at RMXPU/GDU. Guide Here

Proper Packaging
When your game is ready to release you will likely self compress your game using the in program method through RM. This can be found in the 'File' section and the option is called 'Compress Game Data...'. When doing this ensure your entire game is in it's own folder. After this is done you will have 1 file that is a self extraction file which when used will unpack your game. Place this one file into it's own folder and then it should be compressed one more time using .rar or .zip methods (whatever you prefer). However before you compress it one last time this is when you will put in a notepad guide explaining how to unpack your game and where to put it. After this is all done you should have a compressed .zip or .rar that when unpacked makes a folder for your game with a self extraction file. When the self extraction file is opened it create another folder inside the first that has your game inside it.

Additional Content to Include
-Notepad Guide x2 (one for how to unpack 2nd folder, one for how to play 1st folder)
-Fonts (include every font you used even if it's a windows standard)
-Include the RTP through in program methods

Conclusion
I will go into more detail when time permits. I wanted to get this out there, as these are the 3 main things I notice that should really be common sense. Please ensure to use these techniques when releasing your game, as it will give it a more polished and commercial feel.

Last edited by Jon Bon on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total

http://boninkcreations.weebly.com/

2Releasing a Game Using RM-XP-VX-Ace [V0.3] Empty :D happy Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:25 pm

leejanes123

leejanes123
Developer
Developer

I'm so glad you posted this Jon even though dark matter is a long way from completion it makes me happy to know there is a small guide on releasing it Smile keep up the great work.

http://www.boninkcreations.com/

Jon Bon

Jon Bon
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Thanks for the support. I wrote this three times, and kept getting busy and computer would crash. I will fill it out and add pictures and more detail soon. Lots of tips I have to add, but decided I would post it and add on. I will add a version number, so it's easier to check into it.

http://boninkcreations.weebly.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum